Hi gorgeous ones!
Today I thought I would share my morning drink with you. We all know that drinking hot water with lemon is really good for us. It cleanses the system and acts as a great detoxifier.
I have been drinking it for many years, thinking I was doing a great thing for myself. But when I spoke to Sarah, my Ayurvedic lifestyle consultant, she told me that drinking only lemon with water is way too acidic for the body. She has given me a much more balanced, Ayurvedic recipe, which I have been drinking for over 6 months now and I feel a lot better for it.
- Boiling water
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh lemon
- Fennel seeds
- Raw honey
- Upon waking, boil a kettle with filtered water.
- While the kettle is boiling, chop up, or grate a nice big chunk of fresh ginger. Add to a teapot.
- Add half a teaspoon of fennel seeds to the teapot.
- Pour boiling water into the teapot and add a few squeezes of lemon while it’s brewing.
- Allow to brew for about 5 minutes.
- Strain tea into a cup and add a spoon of raw honey.
- Drink as much as you like, first thing in the morning, before your breakfast.
There are many good things about this which I would love to share:
- According to Sarah, this is the best Ama buster to have in the morning. What is Ama, you may ask? According to Ayurveda, it is undigested food residue that lodges itself within the organs and channels of the body. There is no real equivalent in the west, a basic understanding is that it is toxins in the body. However, Ama is greater than just toxins in the body, it extends further out into the mind and spirit. If you are wondering if you have Ama, have a look at your tongue. If you see a white coating on your tongue, you are directly observing Ama accumulation. Here are a few other signs that you may have an excess build up of Ama*:
- You feel a sense of blockage in the body, such as constipation or congestion.
- You feel foggy in the morning.
- You feel weak for no apparent reason.
- You feel lethargic and unmotivated.
- You feel the need to cough regularly.
- You become exhausted really easily – physically and mentally.
- You feel depressed.
- The combination of ginger, lemon, honey and fennel is very beneficial in Ayurveda. Ginger is a great way to wake the body up, removes ama, it improves digestion, relieves constipation and inflammation; fennel stimulates and improves the digestive system; lemon removes ama and honey warms up the body, and due to it’s stickiness, assists the accumulated ama to flow through the digestive system. Something to note about honey, is that ayurveda recommends that honey should always be raw and never heated. Once honey is heated, it becomes toxic in the body and creates more ama. According to ayurveda, we should never cook with honey and always add it to our drinks once they are at drinking temperature.
- This drink is really potent to get the bowels moving, first thing in the morning. According to ayurveda, the efficiency of the bowels is a very good indicator of our health. And it is important to move the bowels every day, another way of removing ama from the body :).
I hope you like the recipe. I would love to know what you think and if you notice a difference in yourself after drinking it.
Blessings to you.
Would you like to subscribe to the Peaceful Mothering newsletter? Join the Peaceful Mothering tribe and get Olga’s updates. Click here.
*Yarema, Rhoda and Brannigan